Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Coma

"The Pavement, marked with grease and rain and chewing gum. thousands of peices of discarded chewing gum, pressed flat by pedestrians into a constellation. And if I reaches down to touch the paement, I could feel grit beneath my fingers. the grit stuck to the natural oils on my hand. If I lifted my hand and looked at the grit, I could see that like grubby snowflakes each grain was different from the others. Detail. Spectacular. Fractal. "

Alex Garland writes about a dream world experienced by a patient in a coma. the dream-like descriptions are all in first person and even his use of verb tense adds to the surreal feeling of the book. As a whole, the book fails probably for lack of density. It's more of a novella. Nonetheless, certain passages are gripping and totally original.

No comments: